Due to the restrictions on the volume of premises and the length of the freon line, characteristic of split systems, the demand from our compatriots for the installation of fan coil units in residential and commercial premises has significantly increased. Regardless of the version, wall-mounted, floor-mounted or ceiling-mounted, this device is a fairly compact heat exchanger connected to the hot and cold circuits of the working fluid preparation device. In other words, this device can be compared with the indoor unit of a conventional split system. Fancoils may have differences in design, but each has the following components:
- A heat exchanger that cools or heats the supply air.
- A fan that directs the supply air to the heat exchanger.
- The filter, which serves to clean the supply air from mechanical impurities.
- Control unit with remote control.
A typical sectional design of a fan coil unit, with the designation of the elements, can be seen in the figure.
You should be aware that the presence of a housing is not necessary for fan coil units. There are both cased and unframed varieties of this equipment.
The principle of operation of the system is quite simple: from the processing device (chiller), the working fluid of a given temperature enters the fan coil unit, where heat exchange takes place between the air and the walls of the heat exchanger. Air can be supplied to the heat exchanger in two ways:
- Outdoor, from the supply ventilation system through a duct system;
- Internal, from the premises. In this case, the air masses are heated much faster than in the case of supplying fresh air.
Such a system is called a chiller-fan coil and can work both for cooling and for heating the air in the room.
Varieties of fan coil units
To date, there are four main types of such equipment:
- Console frameless.
- Console in the case.
- Fancoil cassette.
Depending on the installation, each type of this climatic equipment can be wall-mounted, floor-mounted, ceiling-mounted or built-in. Depending on the tasks, fan coil units can be equipped with two or four pipes. When using a two-pipe piping, the device can only work for cooling or heating the air in the room. The use of a four-pipe piping allows the use of both a cold and a hot chiller circuit, while operating the unit for both heating and cooling, making settings from the control panel. Due to the complexity of implementation, the cost of installing fan coil units with a four-pipe piping is much higher than with a two-pipe one.
Features of installing fan coil units
Most often, such equipment is installed not one by one, but in groups that are distributed over rooms and floors.
- Equipment with the same hydraulic resistance, mounted on the same floor, is installed according to the scheme shown in Figure 1.
- Equipment with the same hydraulic resistance intended for installation on different floors is mounted according to the scheme shown in Figure 2.
- Fan coil units with different hydraulic resistance, installed on the same floor, are mounted according to the scheme shown in Figure 3.
- Devices with different hydraulic resistance, installed on different floors, are mounted according to the scheme shown in Figure 4.
- The main advantage of schemes 1 and 2 is that there is no need to adjust the circuit with the working fluid. The advantage of schemes 3 and 4 can be considered a lower flow rate of the pipeline.
Differences in the installation of various types of fan coil units
Cased two-pipe fan coil units are mounted, distributing them evenly around the entire perimeter of the room. Installation of four-pipe models, as a rule, is carried out under the windows. The ability to quickly change the operating mode, from cooling to space heating, allows you to compensate for heat loss through the glazing. For all types of fan coil units, it is necessary to make a piping, with shut-off valves, and connect to a common hydraulic system. Frameless devices are located in the space between the ceiling and the suspended ceiling. The main requirements for the installation site of these devices are:
- minimum length of air ducts;
- service access.
When installing frameless fan coil units on the ceiling of the house, anti-vibration mounts should be provided.
The simplest installation is typical for floor fan coil units. It is enough to connect a drainage pipeline to drain condensate, as well as to carry out work on connecting the device to the hydraulic system, mixer and power supply. Work on the installation of floor models without much difficulty can be carried out independently. Installation of a wall-mounted fan coil unit, as well as ceiling models, is much more complicated and requires the participation of a specialist who will perform work on:
- assembly of the strapping unit;
- installation of the necessary devices for monitoring and controlling the device;
- competent laying of pipes and air ducts;
- thermal insulation works;
- pressure testing of the system;
- connecting the device to the power supply.
Installation of cassette fan coil units is also associated with certain difficulties, since it is supposed to be built into a suspended ceiling. First of all, a hole of the desired size is cut out in the false ceiling. After that, the device is fixed to the ceiling in compliance with the measures of anti-vibration protection and sound insulation. Depending on the model, the master connects one or two hydraulic circuits, mixers and supply air to the main unit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cD0K8B48bY
It is extremely important that after connection work is carried out to adjust the supply of working fluids. That is why all installation work must be carried out by specialists.
Stages of installation work
Work on the installation of fan coil units can be divided into several stages:
- Correct choice of mounting location.
- Fastening the device to the building envelope.
- Creation of a binding knot.
- Laying of a pipeline for the supply and removal of working fluids.
- Installation and connection of the drainage system.
- Connecting the power supply and control system.
- Checking the tightness of the system.
- Job setup.
Despite the difference in design, the installation of fan coil units is carried out in almost the same way.
It should be understood that the quality and durability of the operation of the entire system directly depends on the competent installation of fan coil units, therefore it is best to entrust such work to professionals. When contacting a company for the installation and maintenance of such climate equipment, you should pay attention to the experience of specialists and the availability of the necessary equipment in the company.