Has your house or apartment been “attacked” by a fungus, penetrating even under wallpaper and linoleum? So you can forget about the cozy and pleasant atmosphere in the home. Moreover, it is absolutely unsafe to be in such premises. Where do fungal growths most often appear? The fungus settles on the walls, ceiling, floor and even penetrates under the wallpaper and linoleum, from where it is most difficult to remove it. Sometimes it can also be found in cabinets, on bookshelves, in piles of carpeting.
If the problem is visible to the naked eye on the walls, ceiling and furniture, then the fungus that appeared under the linoleum and wallpaper can not be detected immediately and it is not so easy to get rid of it. That is why the article below is devoted to the question of how to remove the fungus under the wallpaper and linoleum, as well as what role the air dryer plays in this process — read on!
We advise: “A dehumidifier in repair and construction — higher quality, shorter terms”
5 reasons for the appearance of fungus under the wallpaper and linoleum
The main reason for the appearance of fungus in the house and apartment is an increased level of humidity. It is dampness that contributes to the active development of various harmful formations, it creates simply ideal conditions for this. To reliably protect the premises from such a misfortune, it is necessary to maintain the humidity level within 45–60%. But if the fungus has already settled on the walls, wallpaper and linoleum, it is urgent to decide how to remove it from the house / apartment.
The first thing to do is to find out the reason for the increase in the level of humidity and, accordingly, the appearance of fungal formations.
Most often this happens due to:
poor ventilation, as well as the lack of hoods;
regular drying of things inside the apartment, at home;
damage to water pipes, plumbing;
cracks on the walls, poor insulation of seams;
frequent bathing, showering and abundant cooking.
The presence of open aquariums and other water containers, an abundance of indoor plants and even the person himself also contribute to an increase in the level of humidity in the home.
Read more here: “Why dampness occurs in an apartment and a house: an overview of the reasons”
Instructions on how to remove the fungus under linoleum and wallpaper
If the humidity in the apartment / house exceeds the prescribed 45–60%, expect uninvited guests in the form of all kinds of dangerous formations. If even a small accumulation of fungus is found under linoleum or wallpaper, you need to urgently take up its elimination.
What to do:
In order to remove the fungus under the linoleum:
- Remove all furniture from the room, dismantle the linoleum, carefully roll it up and take it out of the house.
- Carefully remove the entire adhesive layer, damaged screed or wood (wire brush, scraper, spatula). If sheets of fiberboard, OSB and the like were used to level the floor, it is better to remove them and throw them away.
- Clean the surface well of debris with a washing vacuum cleaner or a damp broom.
- Apply an antiseptic solution to the entire floor area, without missing a single area and going a little on the walls (about 5–10 cm).
- Treat the surface with a deep primer with antifungal additives or liquid glass.
- Apply a thin continuous layer of glue, spread a new linoleum (or an old one completely cleaned of fungal formations). If linoleum is laid with joints, they must be well glued with hot / cold welding.
- Fill the gaps around the perimeter with silicone sealant (preferably with the addition of antifungal mixtures). Close with a skirting board with a flexible edge, which well protects the area under the floor covering from moisture penetration.
As an antiseptic, you can use ready-made solutions that are freely sold in hardware and building stores, or cook it yourself. For example, for surface treatment, you can use: 1. an aqueous solution of copper sulphate; 2. bleach + water (1:1);
Useful material: “How to effectively get rid of dampness in the bathroom?”
To get rid of the fungus under the wallpaper:
- Take off the wallpaper. Unfortunately, it is impossible to save them, you will have to throw them away and glue new ones.
- Clean the walls of black spots and fungus with a solution. For example: 1. mix 1–2 tbsp. spoons of chlorine, 30–50 g of washing powder and 3 liters of water; 2. In 5 liters of water, dilute ½ laundry soap and 100 g of soda.
- Then dry the walls well. This can be done as quickly and simply as possible with the help of heating appliances and a household air dryer. Do not forget to open the windows for ventilation so that the wet streams come out and are replaced by dry, fresh masses.
- Apply an antifungal solution (ready-made or homemade). What mixture will help get rid of the fungus under the wallpaper: dissolve 4–6 tablets of Nystatin / Furacilin in 0.5 liters of hot water, add another 3–5 liters of water.
- After treating the surface with the composition, dry the walls and apply a primer with antifungal additives.
- After the primer is completely dry, you can start gluing new wallpaper.
*** Important: all work on cleaning walls and floors from fungus under linoleum should be carried out in closed clothing, a respirator, rubber gloves and goggles.
Useful material: “Air dehumidifier in case of flooding of an apartment — 6 stages of elimination of consequences”
5 preventive tips “for a snack”
In order not to give the fungus not a single chance, you can take the following tips as a rule:
Ventilate the rooms regularly, even in cold weather open the windows for at least 5–10 minutes.
When cooking, use lids whenever possible and always turn on the hood.
Get rid of plants that like frequent watering, replace them with those that, on the contrary, absorb moisture.
Heat the house / apartment well during the cold periods of the year.
Use a dehumidifier on an ongoing basis.
We will dwell on the last point in more detail, since this “smart” technique deserves special attention.
We recommend reading: “How to reduce the humidity in the house effectively, quickly and easily?”
Why do you need a dehumidifier in your house or apartment?
This air conditioning equipment is designed specifically to maintain the desired level of humidity in the room. It is enough for the user to set the desired percentage of humidity and the equipment itself will keep it at the required level.
Regular use of a dehumidifier (from Trotec, Meaco, dance, Midea or Mycond):
It helps to maintain an optimal microclimate in the premises around the clock.
Prevents the occurrence of dampness, due to which a fungus appears under linoleum, wallpaper.
Excludes damage to furniture, textiles, decor and other furnishings.
Makes indoor air cleaner and healthier (thanks to filters and an ionizer).
It is worth noting that dehumidifiers have low energy consumption, so even round-the-clock operation of devices does not raise electricity bills much. Suitable for any premises, functioning in a wide range of external temperatures (1–37°С / 5–35°С).
Learn also: “14 folk remedies for humidity in the house and apartment”
There are still questions about how effective the dehumidifier is in combating dampness, as well as fungus under wallpaper and linoleum — contact the consultants online store “Life”. We know everything about this technique and will be happy to share information with you. Call: (097) 586 81 58.