The currently popular underfloor heating has thermoelements, but the design features prevent them from contacting the air. The temperature in the heated room is monitored by a thermostat for underfloor heating, which helps to control the amount of electricity spent and manage it.
What is a floor heating thermostat?
The device is a device that regulates the temperature of the coolant. This happens due to the presence of a sensitive thermoelement, which reacts to changes in the intensity of heating. The temperature range varies within +5…+45ºС. Knowing what a thermostat is, it is clear that its correct setting is a key factor in the successful operation of underfloor heating. The main functions of this equipment include:
- turning the heating system on and off;
- control of electricity consumption;
- maintaining heat in the house;
- saving electricity consumption;
- automatic floor heating on time.
The principle of operation of the thermostat for underfloor heating
Thanks to such elements as: servo drives, sensors and thermostats, the temperature is regulated in a continuous automatic mode. The thermostat for water and electric underfloor heating works as follows:
- When the temperature sensor receives a signal about an insufficient temperature level, the heating equipment automatically turns on.
- When the desired level is reached, everything turns off.
Why do you need a thermostat for underfloor heating?
The device is used to control the entire heating system. The overhead or built-in thermostat for underfloor heating helps to turn on and off the heating of the desired sections for a certain time. In addition, it protects cables and the house from fire. The equipment independently determines the critical temperature and turns off all heating elements when it is reached.
Types of thermostats for underfloor heating
Currently on sale you can find the following modifications:
- electronic (touch thermostat for underfloor heating);
- WiFi thermostats.
In addition, they differ in the method of installation:
- mounted on a DIN rail;
Mechanical thermostat for underfloor heating
The simplest device is equipped with a manual control panel made in the form of a rotary regulator with a temperature scale applied in a circle. The mechanical thermostat for water and electric underfloor heating is turned on and off using a special key. Some designs are endowed with indicator lights and a mechanical work timer. The air temperature is measured by a built-in sensor based on the properties of gases or bimetals. They can change volume or shape under the influence of the environment.
So when the desired level of heating is reached, the electrical circuit closes or vice versa opens. The advantages of this type of thermostats for underfloor heating include:
- low cost;
- ease of use;
- possibility of functioning at low temperatures;
- design reliability;
- lack of response to voltage drops;
- long service life.
This room thermostat, due to the simplicity of the device, has some disadvantages:
- minimal functionality;
- significant error;
- lack of remote control;
- the presence of clicks when bending the plate.
Electronic thermostat for underfloor heating
The device is equipped with a liquid crystal display, which shows the value of the current and set temperature of the floor, as well as the air in the room. In addition, technical messages appear indicating malfunctions, which helps to diagnose in time. This thermostat for water and electric floor is controlled by three keys, which are located on the outer panel. Such equipment is able to change the on and off cycles constantly, this helps to save up to 30% of resources.
The advantages of this type of thermostats for underfloor heating include:
- installation of a temperature sensor in an arbitrary place in the room;
- the presence of the display facilitates the task of setting the desired level;
- the possibility of multi-zone control of the heating process;
- high accuracy of the temperature sensor;
- indication in case of an error or equipment breakdown;
- the possibility of completing with a remote block.
The disadvantages include the following points:
- dependence of work stability on voltage drops;
- a short power outage leads to a failure in the settings;
- the cost is higher than that of mechanical devices.
Programmable thermostat for underfloor heating
Heating large areas is a significant financial expense, in this case equipment comes to the rescue, which can be set to certain settings for work. The programmable electric thermostat for underfloor heating works according to the same schemes as previously described, however, all important parameters and temperature values are set for each day of the week, which as a result helps to save up to 50% on electricity consumption.
Such equipment is the most expensive, but at the same time it is endowed with great functionality. In addition to the optimal mode, you can choose the maximum or economy. The positive aspects include the same indicators as those of electronic models. In addition, such equipment is endowed with the possibility of manual control mode, but here it is important to carefully study the instructions.
Wi-Fi underfloor heating thermostat
This type of equipment can be controlled from anywhere in the world, it is important that there is access to the Internet, and a special application is present on the smartphone. A wireless thermostat for underfloor heating is a handy thing for a country house. When it is empty, the device works to maintain a positive temperature, and if you wish to come through the application, you can set the desired parameter with a comfortable level. All thermostats differ in design and additional functions, but all perform their primary task.
The thermostat for infrared floor heating and its other types is endowed with the following advantages:
- remote control;
- significant savings in electricity consumption.
How to choose a thermostat for underfloor heating?
When choosing a device on your own, you need to know what nuances to pay attention to so as not to spend money on unnecessary functions and at the same time ensure the durability of the device. The choice of a thermostat for a warm floor is made according to the following parameters:
- Power. The standard device is designed for consumption up to 3 kW per hour. However, experts recommend choosing a device with a margin of up to 25% of the maximum.
- Installation method. On sale you can find a thermostat for underfloor heating: built-in, on a DIN rail or invoice.
- Design. This parameter is selected for the interior.
- Number of channels. The indicator depends on the size of the heated area and the number of rooms.
Thermostats for underfloor heating — rating
A modern assortment helps to choose a high-quality temperature thermostat for any heating system. We offer you to get acquainted with the best models, based on the opinions of experts and reviews of real buyers:
- Teplolux TP520. It is equipped with two sensors which help to control temperature with the maximum accuracy.
- DEVI Devireg. Thermoregulator for underfloor heating, operating in automatic mode.
- Rexant 51-0531. The design of the outer part fits the dimensions of most sockets and switches, which helps it blend harmoniously into any interior.
- UTH-300. Two-zone thermostat for underfloor heating, used to control two rooms.
- Teplolux SE200. It has a large touch screen displaying all the settings.
- Ballu BMT-2. The model is designed to work with all household infrared heaters.
- Vaillant VRT 250. The thermostat for underfloor heating is combined with wall-mounted boilers. There is a possibility of programming in two modes.
- Vaillant calorMATIC 630/3. High-precision automation, directly dependent on the weather, used to control the operation of the heating system.
Do-it-yourself thermostat for underfloor heating
You can replace this expensive device with a dimmer, which, if necessary, can be upgraded with a triac. To replace the thermostat, you need to calculate the power of the equipment from the resistance of the heater in order to understand which triac is needed. It is installed on the board, after removing the standard part. The replacement is ready to go. It is installed in the chosen place and connected according to the scheme.
Installation of a thermostat for underfloor heating
Each device has its own instruction manual. How to connect a thermostat for underfloor heating:
- Prepare a recess for the box and lead the supply wires to it.
- De-energize the network.
- A temperature sensor is connected between the thermostat and the heating element and placed in the corrugation.
- The thermostat for underfloor heating is placed exactly on the level.
- The wires are connected according to the wiring diagram.
- The device is carefully placed in the mounting box.
- The control panel is put in place and secured.
How to use a thermostat for underfloor heating?
The main function of this device is to maintain the temperature at a given level. Depending on the type of construction, there is a thermostat for underfloor heating with or without a timer. Changes to the temperature level are made as follows:
- mechanical — spin the wheel
- electric — press on the touch screen;
- programmable — enter the required parameters once;
- with wifi — regulated through a special application.