What is an inverter type air conditioner? In appearance, such climatic devices are no different from their own kind. The external assembly is also typical for representatives of such devices. The same can be said about functions. But at the same time, an inverter-type air conditioner is considered a more advanced device with stable operation. To understand whether this is true or a publicity stunt, an analysis of the capabilities of inverter technology will help.
Principle of operation
What are the differences between conventional air conditioners and our heroes? And what is an inverter split system? Which air conditioner is better — inverter or conventional? Is there a risk of overpaying? These and other questions arise in the head of the future owner of climate technology. And you can answer them only by analyzing the differences between an inverter air conditioner and its conventional counterpart.
conventional air conditioner
A conventional appliance should regulate the temperature in a room based on on the readings of the temperature sensor — the latter is set by the user. The bottom line is that when the specified indicator is exceeded, the device simply turns off. Naturally, after some time, the temperature begins to rise, so it is switched on again, during which a conventional air conditioner starts to operate at full capacity. Thus, the technique works all the given time.
Such switching on and off does not have the best consequences:
- peak load on the device at the time of launch;
- power surge (increased energy consumption);
- wear of machine parts.
It turns out that a non-inverter device works cyclically. And in order for its engine to accelerate, large starting currents are consumed. After the start has occurred, the compressor begins pumping 50% of the total volume of freon from the low pressure zone to the high one. At the same time, all systems are used to the maximum.
How is the pressure normalized after the obligatory shutdown of the compressor? The throttle system is responsible for this. But in any part of the system remains freon boiling risk (can occur in the line, and in the receiver, and in the capillary tube). And the unused potential cold comes out, irrationally cooling the air outside. Of course, there is compensation, but it is small — at the same time, cold is generated in the room. To some extent, this equalizes the losses when the compressor is turned on again.
The air conditioner with an inverter is different than conventional models. Here, the control unit converts the alternating current to direct current, and then converts it back to alternating current, but already at the current frequency.
Knowing physics will help answer the question of what an inverter is in an air conditioner. It turns out that the inverter is aimed at raising and lowering the normal frequency of the network. This inverter power control of the air conditioner formed the basis for the name of the device. It affected change in engine speed compressor, and, therefore, on its performance.
The principle of operation of the inverter air conditioner is as follows. The device has a thermostat, provided as a standard temperature meter, however, when the desired level is reached, it does not turn off, but simply reduces the power in operation (leaving only 5–10% of the usual one).The temperature in this case will fall much more slowly, but when the acceptable threshold is passed, the compressor will start again. The inverter compressor operates in the range of 1–1.5 degrees (compared to conventional ones, in which such data varies from 1 to 5 ° C). In this case, there will be no absolute load on the device.
The inverter air conditioner circuit includes the usual outdoor and indoor units.
- Elements such as a compressor are located in the outer one, followed by a system filter with freon, then a fan for cooling freon and a condenser are adjacent. Also worth mentioning is the control board and connections.
- Now about the indoor unit: the first thing to mention is the evaporator for cooling the air, the fan, the details of the shutters, as well as the filter and the drip tray into which the condensate flows.
Pros and cons of using inverter systems
Having figured out what the name of the model “inverter split system” means, it’s time to talk about the pros and cons of the units. First, about bonuses — even after a short period of use, users have time to appreciate the benefits of such a technique.
- The difference between an inverter air conditioner and a conventional one is that it has no restrictions in operation (for a traditional device, this is no more than 8 hours per day).
- You don’t have to worry about network congestion. And their absence is already energy saving in the range from 30 to 50%. When paying utility bills, the difference is significant.
- The device can be called economical — there are no “idle loads”.
- The set temperature is maintained exactly.
- The impact of the air flow also becomes more comfortable: during conditioning, a soft air flow of 12–15 ° C will come out. This reduces the likelihood of getting sick (as happens when using an ordinary analogue).
- Reduced noise level (only 19–23 dB) allows you to operate such a device even at night (in comparison, for the usual version it is 30–32 dB).
- Long service.
- Finally, a device with an inverter will help heat the room even at temperatures reaching ‑25 degrees.
There are certain disadvantages of inverter air conditioners.
- “Zest” in the form of soft thermoregulation is not suitable for every room. What is ideal for bedrooms and children’s rooms, will absolutely not cope with creating a comfortable atmosphere in offices and other public places (people are constantly entering and leaving, closing and opening windows).
- You should not put an inverter air conditioner in the kitchen, its operation will be disturbed by heat from a kettle or stove. Climate technology simply can not cope with such constant changes in temperature.
- Not the last word for the maintainability of devices. For example, the varieties of inverter and non-inverter compressors are exactly the same, but if the electronic board fails, then its replacement will cost at least 10,000 rubles. And spare parts cannot be found in the general sale.
- For economic reasons, it is unprofitable to operate such a unit in a country house, which is rarely visited by residents.
- Finally, high price device makes it problematic for everyone to purchase it.
The best models of inverter air conditioners in 2020
Today, the split system of the presented inverter type is a development product of almost all manufacturers specializing in the production of climate control equipment. Among them are such names as Daikin, Toshiba, Panasonic, Mitsubishi and many others. Each brand has its pros and cons of working.
The list of the best models of air conditioners in 2020 was compiled based on an analysis of their technical characteristics, the ratio of cost to expected quality, and user reviews.
Ballu BSDI-07HN1 combines excellent functionality, high quality, stylish design and relatively low price. The power of the device operating in the “heat” mode is 2.3 kW, for cooling 2.2 kW. These are average figures, but for a full-fledged, high-quality service of the volume that is declared, these values are more than enough. This air conditioner has an “ionization” option, which is extremely rare in this price range, as well as all the functions that should be in it for comfortable operation.
- many operating modes, including warm start and air ionization;
- stylish, compact indoor unit (71 cm);
- “climate control” — automatic maintenance of the set operating parameters;
- high quality materials and assembly;
- there is a timer, you can program the on and off for a certain time;
- night mode is really quiet and comfortable.
- a maximum flow of 7 cubic meters / min will seem insufficient to someone.
This air conditioner with inverter compressor belongs to the same price category as Ballu BSDI-07HN1, but has slightly higher power and speed (2.7 kW for cooling and 2.8 for heating, the maximum flow can reach 7.5 cubic meters /min). AUX ASW-H09B4/LK-700R1DI works almost silentlythe indoor unit emits sound up to 24 dB, it is not audible even at night.
There is also ionization, but the ability to control the air conditioner via Wi-Fi (as an option) is added to the list of functions.
- multi-stage air filtration at the outlet, suitable even for allergy sufferers during the seasonal period;
- there is a display with visualization of service information;
- a new generation inverter has been installed, which increases the efficiency of the air conditioner;
- high energy efficiency class.
- to work with Wi-Fi, you need to buy additional equipment.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK20ZSPR‑S / SRC20ZSPR‑S
This is a split system from a prestigious Japanese brand, which is comparable in price to inexpensive Chinese models. This model is assembled in Thailand under the control of the brand. The conditioner has a full set of necessary functions. The reliability of the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries inverter is high, there are no service calls with problems. Quality can be seen in everything: dense, pleasant to the touch and eye, non-creaking plastic, excellent assembly without gaps and backlash, well-coordinated work of the system.
- reliability and quality from a well-known brand;
- good power characteristics, the air conditioner quickly and efficiently heats and cools large rooms;
- full set of functions;
- in the “cleaning” mode, the system dries the heat exchanger for 2 hours after turning it off;
- Hi power modes (quick access to a given mode of operation) and Econom;
- intuitive control, the presence of “smart” options;
- warranty period 3 years.
- only 3 fan speeds;
- no indicator light on remote control.
A powerful split system that has all the best from Electrolux: excellent quality and reliability, functionality according to advanced consumer requirements, elegant design. The power of the air conditioner is 2450 W when working for cooling and 2800 W when heating. At the same time, the declared service area is 25 square meters. In fact, with such power parameters, the air conditioner can easily warm the area twice as much. You can safely buy it not only in the apartment, but also in the office.
In this model the heat exchanger with an anticorrosive covering is installed. Low-voltage and low-temperature start-up of the system is provided.
- there is a built-in surge protector that reliably protects against surges in the network;
- economical: high energy efficiency class;
- good power allows you to almost instantly reach the set mode (both for heat and cold);
- advanced filtration system, there is a filter for deodorization and antibacterial air treatment;
- electric adjustment of the direction of air flow;
- self-cleaning and defrost modes.
- incomplete instruction manual;
- There are buttons on the remote that do nothing.
This model in its functional set is similar to the previous one. It also has a cool filtration system that provides 100% air purification, air direction control, automatic defrost. Only the Samsung AR09RSFHMWQNER is even more powerful, faster and more efficient. The air conditioner power is 2600W/3200W, and the maximum air speed is 9.6cbm/min. These two models cost about the same, about 30 thousand rubles.
- quiet and smooth operation, soft change of modes and adjustments;
- huge power, high efficiency;
- nice materials and quality assembly;
- drying mode;
- the noise level for the indoor unit is only 19 dB, this is one of the best indicators.
- rather large indoor unit (82 cm).
Tips for buying any of these devices
To choose the right split system with inverter control, you need to listen to the following recommendations.
- If the budget is limited, it is better not to buy the cheapest inverter model available. Let it be a regular split, but from a well-known manufacturer and having a good reputation.
- It is better to choose a model with great power capabilities, especially if you plan to install it in the bedroom or children’s room. Such a device will work without noise and draft.
- Installation of the system should be entrusted only to professionals. According to service centers, 80% of all breakdowns are caused by illiterate installation.
- It is best to install in the spring, and not in the “hot season”, when there are a lot of offers from incompetent specialists.
Even a state of the art air conditioner can fail without proper maintenance. It is important to know that inverter-controlled split systems require certain maintenance rules to be followed.
- Do not allow liquid to enter the cold circuit. This is fraught with the formation of acid, which will corrode the insulation of the engine.
- It is important to constantly monitor the level of oil and refrigerant used. Freon will decrease — the pressure in the system will also drop, which means that the device will start to work for wear.
- important and regular cleaning the heat exchangerbecause the accumulation of dirt is a direct path to its overheating, pressure increase and load.
Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the device.
Information about what inverter split technology is allows you to understand the prospects for its use in all its beauty. But is it worth it to overpay for its purchase? The answer will be this: with a small budget, it is better to opt for conventional air conditioners, but of the highest class. There are service centers available where they can provide qualified assistance.
Air conditioners of this type can be recommended for installation in apartments — residents will appreciate the “soft” cold and quiet operation. But if there are constant power surges in the house, it is better to refuse such a purchase. And one more thing: you should not think that the device will quickly pay for itself due to its energy-saving consumption. According to experts, such a period should be at least 5 years — during this time, no equipment is insured against breakdowns and overloads.