A modern person cannot do without the benefits of civilization, so it is difficult for many to imagine their life without hot water. When it is not possible to use the services of centralized water supply, a geyser comes to the rescue. Due to the wide variety of models, everyone can choose the right option.
What is a gas column?
The device resembles a flow-type boiler that runs on natural fuel. Visually, a gas water heater is a metal box, inside of which a heating system is placed. The flow system is one of the most popular ways to heat water, because there is no need to wait a long time until the right amount of liquid is heated, this happens a few seconds after the device is turned on. For proper functioning, three pipes must be laid to the device:
- gas (entrance);
- cold water (inlet);
- hot water (exit).
Gas column device
Currently, there are two types of devices on the market, which are divided depending on the type of combustion chamber:
- closed (turbocharged).
The first most common option is a unit to which pipes for gas and water are connected. Combustion air enters naturally, penetrating through the opening at the bottom of the apparatus. Such a geyser has the following device for heating water:
- metal case;
- burner with igniter;
- shell heat exchanger;
- automatic gas valve;
- water node;
- thrust sensor;
- ignition system;
- diffuser with nozzle;
- pipes for the withdrawal of water and gas.
The turbocharged geyser is distinguished by a closed combustion chamber system, the air is heated by a fan. The design is endowed with the following features:
- electronic block;
- stepped or modulating burner;
- automatic ignition system;
- temperature sensor.
The principle of operation of the gas column
Geysers belong to water heaters with a flow system, the water in them heats up while moving inside the device without a minimum accumulation in it. A gas water heater works according to this principle:
- The burner is ignited from the igniter, at this time a liquid flow appears on the inlet pipe after the warm water tap is opened.
- The heat exchanger is heated, which consists of a bent copper sheet, around which the coil tube is wound.
- Water moves along the coil from the bottom up, absorbing the heat of the burner and heating up to the desired temperature.
- Flue gases are removed by the natural draft of the chimney pipe.
- After closing the hot water tap, the valve is automatically blocked and thus shuts off the fuel supply and turns off the heater.
Geyser — pros and cons
Currently, such a device can be found in a city apartment, and in a private house. Such popularity of a gas water heater is due to a large number of advantages, among which are the following:
- The ability to provide housing with hot water in the right amount. Heating occurs a few seconds after opening the tap.
- Small dimensions of the equipment. Unlike a boiler, a column can be placed even in a small kitchen, which increases the demand for it from owners of small apartments.
- Ability to repair equipment.
- Financial savings, since water is heated immediately.
In addition to the advantages, the gas column has some disadvantages:
- Additional equipment of the room with ventilation or a chimney. This is important for providing fresh air and removing combustion products.
- The need for regular maintenance. All parts made of non-ferrous metals need to be cleaned of soot.
- Additional costs for project documentation during installation.
- The need for high water pressure.
- Relatively low level of efficiency of about 92%.
Types of geysers
Currently, a large number of models are on sale, however, all equipment of this type is divided into two types:
- Flowing — the device does not have a container for accumulating water, its burner is small. Due to their compact dimensions, these are the best gas water heaters for city apartments.
- Cumulative — there is a water tank, and the size of the device is directly related to its volume. The insulation of the device maintains the desired temperature for a long time. Suitable column for simultaneous use at several points. Larger sizes need a secure fit.
How to choose a gas column?
There is such a large amount of equipment currently presented that an unknowing person can get confused. Consider how to choose a gas water heater for an apartment or house and what is important to pay attention to when buying:
- Thermal power or performance. This indicator indicates the amount of water that the device can heat.
- Heat exchanger material. Most models use copper or steel. According to professionals, the first option is more durable.
- Launch system. Currently, a geyser in the bathroom or other rooms that is ignited by matches is a rarity. Modern models have an automatic device start system.
- Optional equipment. These include such systems: water pressure regulation, the presence of gas in the apparatus, the temperature of the heat exchanger and others. All this ensures the safety of operation of the gas column.
Rating of geysers
Hot water in the tap is an important component of a comfortable life. In the absence of a central water supply or frequent shutdowns, a good geyser will help to cope with the situation. We offer you to get acquainted with the rating of models in which there is an excellent value for money:
- Timberk WHE 3.5 XTR H1 — a budget option.
- SUPERLUX DGI 10L – has two modes summer and winter.
- Oasis 20 kW white — a miniature version of an inexpensive geyser. Thanks to batteries, ignition can be carried out even in the absence of electricity.
- GWH 265 ERN Nano Plus — the Electrolux gas water heater has a heat exchanger made of oxygen-free copper.
- Neva 4511 — an ionization sensor is used to control the flame.
- Gorenje GWH 10 NNBW — Battery powered.
- Bosch W 10 KB – the heat exchanger is protected from overheating by a temperature sensor.
- Bosch WR 10-2P – the automatic gas column is equipped with a steel burner and a copper heat exchanger.
- Ariston Fast Evo 11B – there is no possibility of overheating of the device.
- Ariston Gi7S 11L FFI — has an unsurpassed appearance. Premium model.
Installation of a geyser
Any equipment operating on natural fuels is installed only with the permission of the relevant authority. Before installing a gas column, you need to familiarize yourself with the rules:
- It is impossible to place such equipment on the bearing wall of the building.
- The distance from the column to the opposite wall is more than 1 m.
- Pipes for gas supply cannot be mounted in walls, as this makes it difficult to inspect and search for gas leaks.
- A semi-automatic or automatic gas water heater should be located at a distance of more than 10 cm from the wall.
- It is forbidden to install equipment on a wooden wall without its additional preparation.
- Do not place the column above the gas stove. The distance from it must be at least 1 m.
How to turn on the gas column?
Starting the device differs depending on the type of device. An important rule is that there must be water in the heat exchanger. The hot water column is switched on as follows:
- gas opening;
- cold water supply;
- ignite the column.
Currently, you can light a gas column in the following ways:
- Manual ignition. Rarely seen at present. The match is brought to the wick and the gas valve is turned on. The system is not secure.
- Piezo ignition. A button is pressed and a certain element creates a spark, automatically lighting the wick.
- Automatic system. The turbine begins to work under the influence of a strong flow of water.
Why does the gas column not light up?
When there are problems with the operation of the equipment, it is important to establish the causes of these situations. We will find out what problems can lead to the fact that the geyser does not ignite:
- inclusion of a sensor that detects a gas leak;
- chimney problems;
- broken valve;
- garbage in the igniter;
- attenuation of the main burner;
- strong ventilation;
- failure of the automation system.
Why does the gas column go out?
In the absence of a flame in the burner, a sensor is activated that blocks the flow of gas. For a water heating device, a similar situation can occur when:
- strong gust of wind;
- failure of the ionization sensor;
- chimney clogging;
- lack of ventilation;
- rise in temperature more than 100ºС;
- poor water pressure;
- oxidation of the power supply;
- battery failure.
How to clean a gas column?
In order for the equipment to work for the maximum amount of time without interruption, it must be systematically cleaned. You can determine that a gas column needs this by the following signs:
- poor inclusion and frequent attenuation;
- activation of the device thermal protection;
- decrease in device productivity for no apparent reason.
The process of operation of the equipment leads to the fact that the parts are covered with soot, soot and scale. As a result, the device starts to work worse, leading to a decrease in the heating rate. At home, you can carry out the following types of cleaning:
- burners from soot and soot;
- internal elements from dust;
- heat exchanger from scale and soot.
This can be done in many ways, consider a few popular ones:
- You can clean the copper parts of the heat exchanger from scale with hydrochloric acid, and the rest with citric acid. The gas column is disassembled and a 5% solution of hydrochloric acid is poured into the heat exchanger using a pipe.
- Citric acid works longer. To get the desired result, you need to take a large basin. It is filled by a third with water and citric acid is poured at the rate of 10:1. A radiator is placed inside and put on fire. They heat for 30 minutes, and after cooling they wash.
- An ultrasonic cleaner cleans pipes of scale using magnetic pulses.
Geyser in the interior
Thanks to its modern design, the device can easily fit into any design. The relatively small dimensions ensure that the geyser can be almost invisible. Consider several popular options for placing this equipment in the kitchen, bathroom and other rooms:
- The modern design of a kitchen with a geyser can completely hide it behind the facades of block furniture.
- Having a large protruding corner, you can place a geyser between it and the upper cabinet of the kitchen set.
- A white kitchen with a gas water heater will visually hide the outlines of the equipment with its color.
- In the bathroom, the column can be located between the shower and the sink hidden in the niche.
- A small version with an original design facade will harmoniously look near the washstand in the same color.
- A large storage geyser is conveniently located in the basement, equipped as a game room.