More and more consumers are interested in spare heat resources, in the event that it is not possible to use the main sources of heating. A catalytic (gas or gasoline) heater is a progressive novelty among heating devices that has gained popularity in Russia and Europe in a short period of time.
What is it and how does it work
Catalytic heaters are devices that generate heat through oxidation. To do this, a catalyst plate is located in the body of the device, when fuel enters it, a reaction occurs, resulting in heat generation.
Fuel consumption is carried out in a flameless way. And this eliminates the formation of combustion products, which makes the device environmentally friendly and safe. In terms of efficiency, the heater bypassed the standard gas burner.
All of these factors explain the growing consumer confidence. Heating occurs according to the following scheme:
- The surface of the catalyst plate is heated from 200 to 5000FROM.
- The fuel-air liquid is heated in a separate chamber.
- Combustion fumes fall on a hot fiberglass plate.
- Under the influence of a catalyst, the reaction of the so-called flameless combustion takes place.
In other words, the device works due to the oxidation of combustion products.
The fuel, when it hits the catalyst plate, interacts with it, oxidizes and produces a large amount of energy. Compared to the small size of the heater itself, the amount of heat it produces is impressive.
A standard catalytic device is able to maintain heat in a room ranging from 15 to 25 sq.m.
The plate will last about seven yearsafter which it can be changed in special repair shops, there is no need to purchase a new device.
All catalytic heaters primarily differ in design features. The most widespread monolithic devices. In them, the liquefied gas cylinder is located directly inside the case. Depending on the model, the volume of this container can be no more than 27 cubic meters.
In other types of structures, the presence of a housing is not provided. They have only a plate impregnated with catalysts. These models are often used during travel and hiking to heat cars and tents. They are compact and easy to take with you.
In addition, devices differ in the type of heating: they can be conventional or infrared. Infrared gas appliances use a ceramic panel for heating. For more efficient and faster heating, to achieve a comfortable temperature in the room, special reflective plates are installed inside the devices.
For heating with catalytic heaters, it is not necessary to use only liquefied gas in cylinders. For this, the one that is supplied to the houses through the pipes of the central gas supply is also suitable.
However, catalytic equipment can operate not only on gas. Although these models are the most common, some types of heaters may use other fuels.
- Petrol. In such devices, there is a reservoir with a catalytic cartridge attached to it. The principle of their operation is based on the fact that fuel vapors enter this cartridge. Here they interact with the catalyst and are oxidized. Gasoline models are distinguished by their modest dimensions and low weight, which is why they are especially popular with hunters and fishermen.
- Technical alcohol. In devices operating on this type of fuel, there is a special compartment inside the case, in which a container with alcohol or dry fuel is placed. Such models of heaters can weigh no more than 2 kg. They are used to heat tents, dry clothes and warm food.
- Combined fuel. The most convenient types of heaters, as they can use all types of fuel. However, they have one main drawback — the power of such models does not exceed 1200 watts.
Areas of use
Catalytic air heaters are rarely used for heating residential premises. Unless we are talking about an unfinished private house where repairs are being made, or people have already moved, and the main heating system has not yet been installed. In this case, the device will become a real salvation. However, there are more common uses:
- Garages. The heater is able to warm the area of a standard garage, and its operation without fire makes it safe to use it near cars.
- small workshops. The catalytic heating method is a real salvation for workers in various workshops. Fire safety rules are there, but heating systems are usually absent.
- Tents. A catalytic heater for a tent will provide warmth for tourists who love to spend the night in nature. The camping option weighs a little, and warms an area of u200bu200babout 20 sq.m.
- Greenhouses. It perfectly replaces stoves, now gardeners do not have to wake up at night to put firewood: the crop is under reliable protection.
- Temporary. In such buildings, this is the only safe way to keep warm.
Pros and cons
The positive characteristics of catalytic heaters include:
- Compact volumes and light weight: a medium-sized device fits easily into the trunk of a car.
- Security mode. Devices are able to monitor the level of carbon dioxide in the room. In addition, as was said, they do not have a flame, which excludes the possibility of a fire.
- Devices are highly economical. Gas appliances consume about 200 grams in about an hour, when running at full power.
- Fuel Availability. A new bottle or a couple of liters of gasoline can be purchased at any gas station.
- No bad odors. Devices do not spoil the air with combustion products.
- simple device. There are no complicated mechanisms, everything is arranged clearly and simply.
The disadvantages include only the high cost, especially for models with high power.
But this is not surprising, heaters with reliable fire protection, helping out in the cold outside the house, have no competitors. Catalytic heaters have firmly occupied their niche.
What to look for when choosing a catalytic heater
When choosing a heater, it is necessary to focus on the main criteria.
Where and how will the device be used?
Before buying a heater, you need to clearly understand exactly where and for what purposes it will be used. This is necessary in order to correctly select the device according to the type and size of the structure, the type of fuel used.
If you plan to use a heater hiking, outdoors or travelingthen it is better to purchase small-sized types of equipment that are convenient to carry from place to place, and their operation does not require communications.
See also: how to choose a heater in the tent.
If the device is needed for space heating, then it is better to purchase larger equipment. It is she who has enough power to provide a comfortable temperature in the room. In addition, these heaters have built-in safety sensors, so they can be left unattended. If the device is planned to be moved, then models with wheels can be considered.
The first thing you need to pay attention to when buying a heater is its power. The instructions for the device should always indicate what area it is designed for. In addition, the following device parameters should be studied.
- Fuel consumption. You need to know how much gas or gasoline it consumes. It is recommended to pay attention to more economical models with low fuel consumption.
- Dimensions. Pay attention to the height, width, depth of the instrument case. This is necessary to understand whether it will fit in the room. It must be remembered that for the safe operation of the heater, it must be provided with free space (1.5 meters in front and 0.2 meters on all other sides).
- The weight and volume of the fuel tank. For the convenience of moving the heater and its installation, it is recommended to choose light and not too bulky devices.
Also, before buying, you must check the completeness of the device. All equipment must be compatible with each other. The standard kit should include a reducer and a gas hose (in some models — a cylinder). If there are any problems when connecting, then you need to additionally purchase special adapters.
See also: how to choose a gas heater for a summer residence.
Overview of the best manufacturers
Although the choice of catalytic models is currently quite large, so as not to be mistaken, it is better to choose devices from the best manufacturers.
The company produces some of the most reliable and high-quality devices. They run on liquefied gas and boast high power — for some models it reaches 4200 watts. Also, one of the main advantages of Bartolini devices is their independence from the presence of communications.
Most models are equipped with a gas cylinder built into the body. The devices have several power levels that can be adjusted independently. Depending on the model and configuration option, Italian heaters can cost from 11 to 18 thousand rubles. In addition, Bartolini heaters have a high degree of security. Most of them are equipped with a carbon dioxide monitoring sensor and an automatic rollover shutdown system. The most popular model is the Bartolini pullover k.
The French company is known for its economical and compact heaters. It produces equipment for use in residential, industrial and warehouse premises, as well as portable models. The devices are distinguished by economical fuel consumption and cost within 10,000 rubles. The most popular model is Campingaz cr 5000 turbo.
The Korean company is known for its portable models with infrared radiation. The safety of the equipment is achieved by the almost complete rejection of the use of plastic parts. On average, Kovea heaters cost 5-11 thousand rubles.
Heaters of the Russian manufacturer are presented mainly budget devices. They are used for heating garages, warehouses, greenhouses. Such devices cost around 2000 rubles.