A basement dehumidifier is needed to reduce the humidity level to the optimum level. The entire area becomes drier, the structures are not exposed to the destructive action of excess moisture. A properly selected unit works efficiently and does not require third-party costs. More on this below in the article.
Purpose and principle of operation
A dehumidifier is necessary in those basements where it is necessary to maintain the level of moisture in the air at a specific level. In general, the principle of operation is based on such a physical phenomenon as the condensation of water vapor when the temperature drops below the “dew point”.
The following stages of the dryer operation can be distinguished:
- From the humid atmosphere, air enters the dryer, where it comes into contact with the cold matter of the heat exchanger.
- The removal of heat leads to cooling and, consequently, to the formation of condensate from the water vapor that was previously contained in the air.
- Water in its normal state flows into a special container, from where it enters the pan or drain pipe.
- Meanwhile, cold and dried air, passing through the condenser, increases the temperature and enters the basement.
- when the unit is operating, the humidity changes, and the temperature remains the same;
- the device helps to prevent the formation of condensate, mold, fungus, corrosion of metal structures;
- it cleans the air to a great extent.
Types of dehumidifiers
There are three main types of equipment on the market:
- Assimilation. The operation of the device is based on forced ventilation, that is, the wet mass is removed from the basement by suction, converting it into dehumidified air at the outlet. Such a dehumidifier is applicable to large-scale facilities. If we talk about profitability, then it is worth mentioning the decrease in the level of efficiency due to the constant consumption of electricity.
Note that the assimilation unit is not able to dry the air in rain and snow, as well as in areas where a humid climate prevails.
- Condensing. The method of action is similar to a refrigeration unit: the wet stream enters the tubes with inert gas cooling, the condensate leaves in the form of water, filling the tray, and the air returns to the room.
The disadvantage of a dehumidifier is the need to periodically drain the liquid, otherwise the device turns off.
- Functioning on the principle of adsorption. It is used to dry the basement at temperatures of +10 and below. Air masses are injected into the system, pass through adsorbents, where moisture is neutralized. Then the absorbent material must be dried or changed according to the principle of cartridges.
A significant disadvantage of this type of aggregates is the frequency of changing the adsorbent.
Main technical characteristics
Before buying, you should take a closer look at the technical characteristics:
First, refine the performance of the model. An indispensable parameter is moisture removal. It shows the amount of moisture that the device is able to “squeeze” out of the air. It is very important to choose the right model for a specific design.
Please note that the instructions indicate the parameters that are valid at a humidity of 80% and a temperature of +30. In fact, most of the objects where air drying is necessary are warmed up, on average, to +22 degrees, and the required humidity level reaches 60%. Such parameters reduce the performance of the model by 20–25%.
The second parameter to which you need to pay attention. At the same time, consider whether there is heating in the basement in winter. As a rule, condensing type dehumidifiers function effectively at temperatures from +15. High rates will lead to an increase in the ability of moisture removal.
If the thermometer drops below +10, then the dehumidifier goes into defrost mode and cannot dry with the same intensity.
When the mark on the thermometer is below +15, then experts call for the commissioning of an adsorption dryer.
An important parameter that is often overlooked. It shows how much air mass the device can process in an hour. It is optimal if the value of this parameter is 2–3 times the volume of your room. Otherwise, the humidity will not reach the required value.
Potential energy costs
This indicator may vary depending on the brand of the manufacturer. Clarifying questions should be asked to the consultant in the process of selecting a dehumidifier.
Condensate tank capacity
When you do not have the opportunity to visit the basement during the day and drain the liquid, take care of the capacious volume of the tank. Many direct drainage to the sewer, and the problem disappears by itself.
7 popular models
The list is compiled according to the intensity of sales and consumer reviews:
- Hisense DH-25K4HDL. Equipment from a Chinese manufacturer. Able to drain 25 liters in 24 hours. Equipped with a humidity level control system and a capacious condensate tank of 6.5 liters. It has a built-in air filter that does not require replacement. The dehumidifier is equipped with an automatic mode, two drying speeds, a timer. Quite light and compact. Suitable for rooms up to 50 sq. m.
- Stadler Form Albert Little A‑050E. Capable of serving a basement up to 30 sq. m. Can work in night mode. Considered to be quite efficient. Automatically turns off when the tank is full.
- Neoclima ND-40AH. Pretty compact model. Works in rooms with a temperature of 5 to 35 degrees. It is characterized by a reduced noise level, equipped with a display. It has an auto-defrost function.
- Timberk DH TIM 20 E7. Management and controllers are displayed on a modern LED display. Reaching a certain percentage of moisture content, it turns off. Condensate can be collected in a container or drained through a tube into a drain.
- BONECO 2055D. Equipped with patented silver honeycomb filters that purify the air from bacteria. The filter is changed once a year. You can add fragrance. Suitable for areas up to 50 sq. m.
- SmartMi Air 2 ORIGINAL. Within 10–15 minutes it cleans the air in basements up to 24 sq. m. Equipped with removable filters with antibacterial properties, which has a positive effect on preventing the development of fungus.
- MASTER DH 710. Refers to the condensing type. It is completed with the coal filter for elimination of unpleasant smells. Management is carried out on the touch panel. Suitable for rooms with an area of 35–40 square meters. m. It has several modes of operation.
When choosing a model, many initial factors should be taken into account, since only if the initial data matches the models available for sale, it is possible to purchase a unit that will dry the humid basement air for many years.
Consultant in the field of household appliances. I help guests of the SovetExpert.ru project to choose the right product and save money when buying. I have an unbiased opinion. Ready for dialogue.