High humidity is a “painful” problem of rooms with swimming pools, the cause of which is intensive evaporation. To solve it, there is an air dryer — a set of freon units assembled in one housing, the purpose of which is to extract moisture from the air masses and maintain its optimal level.
Purpose of the device
An excess of moisture results in the accumulation of condensate on the walls, ceiling, windows, and also contributes to the development of microbes, the appearance of mold and corrosion in enclosed spaces with an artificial pond. This phenomenon threatens with an uncomfortable environment for visitors, because the preservation of a waterlogged microclimate can cause people who are prone to cardiovascular diseases, asthma attacks or shortness of breath. In addition, there is a high probability of contracting various diseases due to the multiplication of harmful microorganisms in these places.
Excessive humidity leads to wear and tear of the equipment and the destruction of the decoration of the rooms, which will eventually require repairs to the building.
For these reasons, it is advisable to install dehumidifiers in rooms with a swimming pool. They provide control and maintenance of an optimal level of humidity, absorb condensate and give out dry and warm air.
You can get acquainted with the scope and features of the use of dehumidifiers from this video:
Principle of operation and technical characteristics
Most often, in buildings with a swimming pool, a freon type of dehumidifier is used, which is based on two heat exchangers: cold (evaporator) and hot (condenser), located in series. When air saturated with moisture enters the equipment, the fan transports it to the evaporator, in which condensate is removed and drained into a specially designated container, and then discharged into the sewer. The dried cold atmosphere, passing through the condenser, is heated to the set temperature and brought back to the room.
The hygrostat built into it helps to turn on the device in time. It controls the maintenance of the humidity level in the room in accordance with the set indicator on the equipment and, when it rises, it is activated, and when the microclimate reaches the norm, it turns off.
How a dehumidifier works, you can see in this diagram:
When choosing a dehumidifier for the pool, you should pay attention to its specifications:
- Humidity and temperature range.
- Dehumidification capacity (l/day).
- Type and amount of refrigerant used (kg).
- Consumption (loss) of air (cubic m / h).
- Power supply: current consumption (A) and power (kW).
- Noise level (dB).
- Cycle of continuous work.
- Degree of protection.
The main characteristic of the device is its performance — the amount of moisture that it is able to absorb per day. This indicator is calculated for a certain area of the water mirror and varies from 100 to 300 liters.
Types of devices: advantages and disadvantages
Dryers are divided into two types: stationary (they have high power and are suitable for rooms with artificial reservoirs) and portable (devices on wheels that allow you to move them around the building, but are more used for eliminating leaks or for finishing work).
Dehumidifiers for swimming pools, depending on the principle of their work, are divided into:
- Assimilation — are based on the elimination of moist air from the room, replacing it with dry air extracted from the outside of the building. They are rarely used, since the performance of such equipment is much less than its energy consumption, which makes the use of such dehumidifiers not rational.
- Adsorption — the removal of moisture from air masses is carried out through the use of an adsorbent — a substance with a high ability to absorb various liquids on its surface, which is located in the rotor of the device.
This process is ensured by the operation of two or three fans: the first sucks in air from the hall and moves it to the rotor, where the adsorbent, entering into a chemical reaction with it, removes moisture. Further, the dry atmosphere enters the distribution chamber, where it is divided into regeneration and exit back.
The regeneration air mass is heated in a separate chamber and redirected by the second fan back to the rotor, where condensate is blown out of it, which is either discharged outside or collected in a tank. The work of the third fan is to remove dry air back into the room.
The main advantages of this type of dehumidifiers are:
- high performance;
- can work at a temperature of -20 C (but no more);
- the air temperature remains unchanged;
- can reduce humidity by more than 30%.
The disadvantages of adsorption dryers are as follows:
- high price for equipment;
- some models (household) can produce air 5-7 degrees higher than the initial temperature;
- there is a need to bring a hose to accumulate fluid and bring it out into the street.
- Condensing — with the help of a fan, humid air enters the device and moves to the refrigeration circuit containing a heat exchanger, which, interacting with the heat of the air masses, heats up. A refrigerant enters it through pipes, passing from a liquid state to a gaseous state, and cools it. As a result of the temperature difference, condensate forms on the heat exchanger, and the refrigerant moves to the compressor, where it returns to a liquid state during compression. The heat released at the same time heats the dried atmosphere, after which it enters back into the room. Continuous operation of the equipment will be able to dry all the air in the room without major changes in the microclimate.
Benefits of condenser dryers:
- acceptable price;
- equipment power;
- low power consumption;
The main disadvantages of this type are:
- temperature restrictions (from +15 to +30 degrees);
- cannot reduce the humidity to more than 40%.
When selecting and buying a dehumidifier for the pool, you need to choose the way it is placed:
- Wall used in cases where you need to save floor space. Among the advantages are low cost, optimization of hidden condensate drain, the ability to paint the device to match the interior. The disadvantages are the lack of fresh air. One device will not be able to maintain the required humidity, so it is recommended to place several devices at once.
- Floor attractive in that you can allocate a place near the pool and, if necessary, move the device to another.
- ducted suitable for rooms with a large area, it is often installed in an adjacent room, and air is removed and supplied through channels located around the perimeter of the room. Among the advantages of such equipment are high productivity, no noise during operation due to the need to be placed in a separate technical room, as well as the possibility of adding a fresh air intake system. Among the disadvantages are the high price of the device, the complex installation process and the need for regular maintenance.
The use of dehumidifiers for swimming pools, whether ducted, refrigeration or absorption, has a number of advantages: they are easy to operate and will delight you for many years of service, while they are considered environmentally friendly devices and are able not only to control the level of moisture, but also to purify the air from dust, microbes, dilute with a fresh atmosphere from the outside. However, you should not get too carried away with drainage, because it can cause various colds in visitors.
Overview of popular models
There are several brands of dehumidifiers for swimming pools with a worldwide reputation:
- Dantherm is a Danish manufacturer with many years of experience, specializing in mobile and stationary dehumidifiers. This equipment has high power and productivity (up to 200 liters per day), while pleases with silent operation. The models listed below have the option of wall and floor mounting, the kit also includes a hose for supplying and removing condensate, which makes this type of dehumidifier universal.
Among the common models of this manufacturer are:
- Calorex — an English brand used for premises with a large area of artificial reservoirs. This type of installation is able to automatically control all the necessary parameters in the building (air exchange, water and atmosphere heating) and provides a comfortable environment for visitors.
The widely used models are:
- MYCOND is an English manufacturer who has invested many years of experience in the creation of high-quality and energy-efficient installations for optimizing the level of humidity in rooms with a swimming pool. They have high performance and an automated control system, which greatly facilitates their use.
The most sold are the following models:
- MyCond MBA7A
- MyCond MBA12A
- MyCond MBA17A
Before making your choice in favor of some type of dehumidifier, it is worth analyzing the purpose of its installation: what functions it should perform, the size of the area of the pool and the room, the possibility of additional functions, etc. This will be the criterion that will help you make the right choice.
Consultant in the field of household appliances. I help guests of the SovetExpert.ru project to choose the right product and save money when buying. I have an unbiased opinion. Ready for dialogue.